A Cottage in Clarkville


Honey
January 14, 2010, 8:53 am
Filed under: Farm

Good progress on the beekeeping front. The top honey super was full of honey, so it was time to get it off, and give the bees some more room. I had to wait a few days longer than planned due to the beekeeping supply place being closed for Christmas, but as soon as they opened I went and got some more timber for making boxes, as well as more frames and a bee trap. I got the boxes made up ok, they haven’t been painted yet just because I wanted to get them on quickly. The new boxes went on top of the brood boxes, then the bee trap, and then the full honey super on top of that. The bee trap is a one way door so the bees can get out of the full box of honey, but can’t get back in. That means when we extract the honey we don’t have to worry about bees being everywhere.

That evening I went and had a sneaky look in the top of the hive to make sure all was well. I was just wearing shorts and tee shirt as it was a spur of the moment thing. All was fine until I knocked the hive as I was leaving and a heap of bees flew out to see what was going on. As I result I got my first sting from my bees. Only myself to blame!

Today I have taken off the full honey box, it’s all up weight is 28kg, so it will be interesting to see how much honey I end up with.


2 Comments so far
Leave a comment

Looking forward to some Clarkville honey!

Comment by Hayley

Remember that we’re keen on trying your super duper stuff!

Comment by Anya




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s



%d bloggers like this: